Thursday 6 September 2012

Live Tweeting and Doctor Who by @zeiton_7



It occurred to me the other day that tweeting along to Doctor Who was a really strange thing to do! As many of you know I have been involved in this odd practice for over a year now. It has been a fun and enjoyable experience and one which I don't intend to give up anytime soon.

TARDIS TWEETS


However, when I tell my, non Who fanatical friends about this past time they tend to raise an eyebrow and ready the padded cell! So I thought I would take this opportunity to jot down a few thoughts I have on this subject. This may even encourage some of you to try it!


Before I start I will be very honest and say that I am part of the administration team for @Tardis_Tweet and would obviously recommend you check out the schedule of tweet views on the website (see link to the right) However other groups do exist and, again as many you know, I was involved in The Doctor Who Bar until recently. Indeed, I am indebted to the team at the bar for introducing me to this idea!

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. When someone suggested to me that I attempted to watch Doctor Who episodes and tweeted along in a kind of group type experience I thought the idea was weird. I mean really really weird! We Who fans have long given into the nerd title labelling us and some of us have come to love it! But tweeting along to Doctor Who? In a group? That's just too geeky even for me! These were some of my thoughts initially, but like a good Doctor Who fan I decided to give it a go.


I can't honestly remember what the first story was but I do remember it was a lot of fun. Sharing common thoughts and, sometimes, opposite opinions, whilst watching whichever Doctor do his stuff was brilliant. You see, being a Doctor Who fan/obsessive is sometimes a lonely existence. Lets face it everyone else just thinks its a television program and as we know its so much more than that, right? Ever since that first dip into live tweeting I have been a regular participator and have now upgraded (see what I did there Cyber fans?) to being part of a team of like minded lunatics who lead Tardis Tweets.


It really is a lot of fun as its a great way of interacting with other fans across the world. You get a true idea of the appeal of our beloved Doctor Who just by listening and reading what people put. Sometimes you learn things you didn't know about the story in question. But always, always a good time is had!


However, a more poignant and sad dimension to this past time is, of course, when a beloved Actor or Actress dies. This gives us, at Tardis Tweets, an opportunity to change our schedule and put in its place a story that celebrates the life of the person we have lost. This, on so many occasions, has been a real focal point and has allowed many to share personal recollections in a truly moving way.





So, what are you waiting for? Try it? It doesn't have to be with Tardis Tweets. Find a group that has a story you'd like to watch and turn up. You never know you might enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment